Before making a reservation the first thing we ask our future homeowners to do is get financially qualified. You can either do this via our partner, The Mortgage Advice Bureau or bring evidence of financial qualification with you to your appointment to reserve.
At Skipton Properties there are two types of reservation: Standard and Early Bird. For Early Bird reservations, the legal process doesn’t start until we convert your reservation to a Standard one.
The legal process will be explained to you at your appointment but we’ve detailed the process here for you so you are prepared and know what to expect.
Our Standard reservations carry a six-week exchange. If you have made an Early Bird reservation we will advise when you need to start the legal process and when the exchange period will commence.
If your home is under construction, your reservation form will show an indicative season or month of completion. You will be given a clearer indication of your completion date as we draw closer to its completion. Please note the date we give on your reservation form is indicative and is subject to change. We will update you throughout the build and notify you of any changes that may be required.
Build dates are given using the following guidelines:
Before completing the foundations and ground floor: we give the calendar quarter when your home is likely to be ready.
When the roof is completed and the building weatherproof: we give the month when your home is likely to be ready.
When the New Home is decorated and main services are connected: we give the week your new home is likely to be ready.
Please note across all standard reservations, you are expected to exchange within the 6-week period. On the rare occasion that we have given you an incentive to get you moving, you will lose this if you do not exchange and complete within the timeline given.
We’ll go through all the contract information with you at your appointment, check whether you’re happy for us to apply for searches on your behalf (it’s usually much smoother when we do this) and will discuss additional information such as management fees (if applicable).
Once you have reserved your new home, we’ll pass all of your reservation details to our solicitor who will in turn confirm everything with yours (it would be good but isn’t essential if you know your solicitor when you reserve).
Please note our Standard reservations carry a £1000 fee, which may be partially refundable dependent on your position in the legal process. Reasonable fees will be deducted from this amount, which may mean you aren’t due a refund.
Early Bird reservations carry a £150 fee, which is refundable for the first 24 hours. After that point, reasonable fees are deducted, which means you aren’t due a refund. At the point of reservation, we will clearly state the time period that applies to such reservations so you can have an idea of when you will be able to move into your new home.
You are free to select a lawyer of your choosing. However, you have the option to choose from our panel of solicitors who have been selected for their efficiency, their competitive rates, their understanding of our developments and the process of buying new build homes. Not all lawyers have experience in this and it is important you choose a lawyer that does.
If you are applying for a mortgage, you must do this immediately. If you are using our recommended financial advisor, they will be able to help you. Any delays in applying for your mortgage may delay your survey, which could mean you don’t meet your exchange date.
Please note that if you don’t exchange by the due date, you may lose your home or any incentives that have been agreed upon.
Please confirm funds with your solicitor and factor in the 10% deposit payable on legal exchange. This must be transferred to your solicitor in advance. Please ensure you have enough time to do this and understand the timings of your chosen transfer method as this may affect your ability to exchange on time if you aren’t prepared.
Your Sales Advisor will be in touch regularly to share information on the progress of your home and to see how you are doing in respect of the legal process. They’ll also invite you to development at the following key stages:
- Selections Appointment
- Pre-plaster Appointment
- Pre-exchange appointment (if the house is viewable)
- Pre-completion snagging appointment.
We kindly ask that you ensure you have an appointment to view your home so that your Sales Advisor can answer any questions and ensure your journey around your home and the development is safe.
New Home Warranty: Complete peace of mind
Since 1986, we have been dedicated to building homes for families across Yorkshire and Lancashire. Over the years, we have completed more than 4000 homes. Many of our homeowners have not just purchased from us once or twice, but even three times. We believe this extensive experience should provide you with confidence when choosing to buy from us.
However, to ensure your complete peace of mind, all our homes are backed by a 10-year LABC warranty. It includes two periods:
- Defects Insurance Period (valid for 2 years from warranty commencement)
- Structural Insurance Period (years 3 – 10) You will be given your policy document at reservation.
The warranty covers a wide range of aspects in your new home, including:
- External doors, windows and ironmongery
- Kitchen units (please note your appliances are covered by the manufacturer)
- Renewable energy installation (if present)
- Electrical system Internal and external drainage system
- Plumbing, sanitary ware, taps and shower doors
- Brickwork and driveways
- A building certificate that confirms that we have complied with LABC’s standards
What it doesn’t include?
- Snagging damage which is purely cosmetic (such as shrinkage cracks and nail pops) and does not impair the structural stability or weather tightness of the home
- Any alteration, modification or addition to the home Any loss due to a lack of maintenance of the home or normal wear and tear or improper use of the home
- Anything the purchaser knew about prior to purchasing the home Damage caused by fire, smoke or severe weather. Loss caused by theft or accidental damage
Working in partnership with conveyancers:
Holden Smith and Ison Harrison
Not decided on your lawyer yet? Holden Smith & Ison Harrison know everything there is to know about buying new homes. Jessica Mckenzie, Conveyancing Executive of Holden Smith, and Claire Loftus, Partner of Ison Harrison, talk a little bit about their services in these short videos.
Simple Move: Helping you sell your home
Here at Skipton Properties, we’re committed to making the home-buying experience smoother and more enjoyable for you. That’s why we’re thrilled to introduce our SimpleMove scheme designed to help you sell your current home effortlessly, all while securing your home with us and saving you money.
Say goodbye to the stress and uncertainty of selling your home, and say hello to a seamless, streamlined process with Skipton Properties by your side. With SimpleMove, you can focus on embracing the exciting journey ahead – settling into your new Skipton Properties home.
Why choose SimpleMove?
- Navigating the world of estate agents can be overwhelming. With our expert guidance, you’ll receive personalised recommendations from reputable estate agents in your area, ensuring that you’re in capable hands throughout the selling process as well as helping you achieve the best price for your home.
- Minimising your moving costs! We’ll pay a proportion of your selling fees, dependent on the value of your home.
- We understand the frustration of waiting for updates. Our team will actively communicate with your chosen estate agents, chasing updates on your behalf.
- Found the Skipton Properties home of your dreams? There is no need to worry about losing it while you sell your current home. With our exclusive offer, we will hold your desired home whilst selling your own
- SimpleMove cannot be used with any other incentive
- You must use our list of locally preferred agents if you are in the local area. If out of the area, the estate agent will be reviewed by Skipton Properties.
- This service is available on selected plots; the maximum we will contribute to your estate agency fee is plot-dependent. If you complete your existing home before completing your new home, you will need to pay your estate agency fees. This allowance will then be credited upon completion of your new home.
- If you agree to market your home at the recommended marketing price, we will hold your chosen plot at Skipton Properties for a maximum of 6 weeks while you sell your home.